Monday 25 February 2013

Multiple Intelligences

The Multiple Intelligences Test is a fascinating activity. It takes into account more of the diversity in our learning. To quote the site,

"It has been claimed by some researchers that our intelligence or ability to understand the world around us is complex. Some people are better at understanding some things than others.

For some of us it is relatively easy to understand how a flower grows but it is immensely difficult for us to understand and use a musical instrument. For others music might be easy but playing football is difficult."



There weren't that many surprises on this one, to be honest. My strengths are Music Smart and Self Smart. My weak areas are Number Smart, People Smart and Nature Smart. I love music but I'm pretty indifferent about playing sport. I work best by myself, and don't really like working or collaborating in groups.

I guess the takeaway from this exercise is that I need to be aware of my own preferences when I'm designing learning activities, and try not to focus on them as much as I'd like to.  I need to broaden the spectrum when I'm designing the lessons, so that I don't inadvertently only engage the students who are just like me.

My lack of "people smart" is going to be a hurdle if I'm to become a good teacher. Working in a team and relinquishing some of my autonomy is going to be something I will have to really work at.

No comments:

Post a Comment